Renew ESTA USA if you are a Danish Citizen

An USA ESTA or travel authorization is normally valid for two years. Within this period you can visit the United States multiple times through the Visa Waiver Program. However, there are several scenarios that require you to renew or apply again for a new travel authorization. Examples include a change in your name, gender, citizenship, or if you obtain a new passport. Once you renew your ESTA and obtain a new travel authorization, the existing one will become obsolete and not valid for travel. You can only have one valid travel authorization at any given time linked to your passport. Each person traveling needs to have his or her own valid travel authorization, including children and babies

Visa Waiver Lande
Visa Waiver Lande

Under What Circumstances Will I need to Renew My ESTA?

If any of the following conditions apply, you must apply for ESTA renewal:

What happens when my ESTA is close to expiring?

When your current ESTA expiration comes close to ending, an email notifying you of its expiration may be sent to your registered email address from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection email address “”, with the subject heading “ESTA Expiration Warning.” This is about an ESTA number you obtained in the past that will expire in 30 days. You must apply for a new ESTA if you intend to travel to the U.S.A. Sometimes, this email might be sent even though you have already applied for an ESTA Application Denmark and have received it. Customs and Border Protection identifies the expiration date of each USA ESTA number and sends a notification. This email is about an ESTA that was authorized in the past to notify you of an expiration date.If you already have an ESTA number, it is not a problem.

Here is an example of the email you might receive:

ATTENTION! The travel authorization submitted via ESTA on November 11, 2014, will expire in the next 30 days. A current ESTA travel permit cannot be extended or renewed. A new ESTA travel permit will be required. Please reapply at if travel to the United States is intended shortly. You will be notified during your application if there are more than 30 days remaining on your old authorization.

Check the expiration date on your current ESTA if you get an email with the same content as above.

Do I need a new ESTA to apply for a new passport?

If your passport expires within two years, then the ESTA will also expire. This applies if your passport content (i.e.,your name, gender, and nationality) has changed. You don’t need to apply for a replacement ESTA if your ESTA expires in the U.S. while you are there. As long as your ESTA remains valid when you enter the U.S. or connect there, it is not a problem.

Can I apply for ESTA again before my current one expires?

Even if you possess an ESTA travel permit with a considerable amount of time remaining before its expiration, you can still apply fora new ESTA. Your previous ESTA information is invalidated when you apply for a new ESTA. Only the information from your most recent ESTA request will remain valid. There is no “renewal” system for ESTA. The procedures are the same regardless of whether your previous ESTA expired. Therefore, “reapply” will be used. Note that your old ESTA information cannot be recovered once you have received and applied for a new ESTA. Past information will be deleted when you apply for a new ESTA. This is important to understand. Apply for ESTA again, considering the expiration of your current ESTA and your future travel plans to America.

How many times can I visit the USA with my ESTA?

ESTA authorizations are valid for two years. You can visit the U.S. during this time without needing a visa. This is subject to the condition that your trip is for sightseeing or short-term business purposes and that your stay does not exceed 90 days. The maximum time you can stay in the U.S. is 90 days. If you are traveling to the U.S. to see sights, you must first obtain a visa. Then, you will need to create a plan. You can also stay in the U.S. for 90 days using ESTA, but only twice per year. Most Visa Waiver Programs that allow you to visit the U.S. for up to 180 days per annum are also limited. If you are traveling to the U.S. frequently during the year or for a prolonged stay of approximately 30-90 days under a Visa Waiver Program ESTA, you will betaken to a separate area and asked questions about your visit to the U.S. at the immigration inspection. Although you can travel to the U.S. any number of times during the two-year validity period, immigration officers may ask you for a visa if you are visiting the U.S. frequently. If you spend more than half the year in the U.S. or visit the U.S. more often than once a year, it is worth applying for an ESTA and applying for a visa.

It is recommended to apply for ESTA 72 hours before departure

All passport holders from Visa Waiver countries must apply for their ESTA online