Work in USA – Best Programs

ESTA på dansk

Interested in spending time working and traveling around the US this summer? With the rich cultural hubs of places like California, New York and Texas, it’s no surprise that visitors want to try an extended stay. However, trying to find a solution that complies with the US’s strict foreign employment laws can feel a little daunting. Below are some of the options to explore as a foreigner who wants to work in the US. Remember that each of these are temporary options that tie your ability to stay in the country.

The Au Pair program

The Au Pair program gives you the opportunity to live with a host family for a whole year. It gives the option to extend your stay by 6, 9 or 12 months. You must speak English well enough to have an interview and be between 18 and 26 to apply for this.

It is a mutually beneficial system where the family has a responsible source of consistent childcare while the au pair has the opportunity to live and study in the US.

Camp counselors

This is another option that focuses on exposing American children to foreign cultures and people. The qualifications are similar to those of au pairs, although there is no upper limit in relation to age. However, there is a limitation on the type of role you will play in the camp. You cannot be an unskilled worker, such as a cook or a dishwasher.

Summer work travel program

This one is for current full-time college or university students who would like to spend their summer living and working in the US. You can check a list of the programs offered by the country to see if you are eligible to participate. Organizations like SWAP help streamline the process of applying for and receiving documentation for summer J-1 visas. The goal is to find a job that is only seasonal and requires extra people to work during the summer months. Many outdoor events and restaurants see an increase in business during the sunny summer season and will require more employees. Theme parks are often only staffed this time of year when the children are out of school. Just keep in mind that the job cannot be commission-based, part of a medical treatment, or anything that requires a driver’s license.

Medical program

This program allows foreign doctors to come to the United States to attend medical training at accredited American medical institutions. There are many requirements that must be met, but it may be necessary to become a well-trained doctor in certain parts of the world. The goal is to provide foreign doctors with specialized training to tackle problems in their home country or their country of residence. Passing the National Board of Medical Medical Examiners as well as the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination is not a piece of cake.


Learn About ESTA Application Denmark  |  Learn About USA ESTA  |  Learn About ESTA |  Learn About ESTA Visa Waiver Program


It is recommended to apply for ESTA 72 hours before departure

All passport holders from Visa Waiver countries must apply for their ESTA online