Study in Hawaii

ESTA på dansk



If you’ve ever dreamed of living among lush landscapes and volcanoes, then you could do with a study trip to Hawaii! Instead of just going to one of Hawaii’s amazing islands for a beach vacation or honeymoon, you can take a program of study that will allow you to really explore this fascinating place; immerse yourself in the indigenous history, broad ecology, and authentic culture and cuisine that Hawaii has to offer.

With programs of varying lengths and subjects, you can spend a year, a summer or a semester studying in Hawaii, giving you a wealth of new experiences (as well as a delicious tan!).

What you will get out of your study tour

Hundreds of students from all over the world choose to study in Hawaii, blending many cultures, ages and languages. Although everyone will communicate in English, you will be able to learn a great deal from the variety of people you interact with.

At Hawaii Pacific University there are two primary campus areas; one located on the coast and the other in a tropical location close to Honolulu. You will therefore be able to soak up the atmosphere, culture and landscape on a daily basis, making it an unforgettable trip. When you’re not studying, you can surf, hike, snorkel, dance, sunbathe and discover new parts of the island – keeping you entertained and engaged all the time.

Planning your study tour


Once you’ve decided to study abroad in Hawaii, consider whether you want to stick to one island, such as at a particular university, or explore a range of destinations with a trip like ‘ semester at sea ‘. This will depend on what you want to see and study and what is available in relation to your time frame, subject and price.

Most study abroad programs include some form of accommodation so you can be with fellow students or in a home to ensure you can immerse yourself in Hawaii’s culture.


Then you need to look into a visa for your trip to ensure you can study during your stay in Hawaii. If you are a US citizen, you do not need to apply for a student visa as your current residence in the US will cover it. If you are not a US citizen or US permanent resident, you will need to apply for either an F-1 or J-1 student visa. This can be done through the US Embassy in your home country.


Most studies in Hawaii involve a significant cost to cover accommodation, tuition, teaching materials, etc. But even if you don’t think you can afford the trip, you may be able to apply for a scholarship abroad through various initiatives, such as Fulbright Scholarships and Gilman Scholarships . Alternatively, you can enlist the help of family and friends who can organize local fundraising events so that you can get this fantastic opportunity.

If you want to study in Hawaii, check out the program and education options below to get an idea of what’s out there:

It is recommended to apply for ESTA 72 hours before departure

All passport holders from Visa Waiver countries must apply for their ESTA online